Thursday, July 22, 2010

Reflecting on D-Day: Crossing the Channel




I wanted to reflect what it was like spending a night in the English Channel before the actual invasion.  How nerve racking it must have been for the soldiers.  Did they go to bed?  Did they sleep well?  How could they if they knew what would be awaiting them the next day.  

The seas were rough that night.  Many of the soldiers fell sick.  The space was jammed. Bunks were six deep and each berthing compartment held about 50 men.





In the evening, I headed down the Brittany Ferry's assigned seating area.  I would try to sleep well tonight. But first I would have to reflect on the past and what it was like for the men on June 2-4th, 1944.



By early morning, we arrived in Portsmouth at 0600.  I was weary but ready and excited to see my niece, Rio.

Portsmouth is a very historic, thriving commercial ferryport with a lot to do and offer.  Today, it is home to some famous Naval ships including HMS Warrior and Lord Nelson's flagship, HMS Victory.

A French destroyer inport in the harbor of Portsmouth


The Spinnaker Tower is a great icon and represents Portsmouth's deep nautical significance and naval history.



It was only about an hour ride on a train to London before I caught the Tube to Gunnersbury, near Chiswick.

No comments:

Post a Comment